Thursday, February 14, 2008

January 23 Kolhapur, New palace museum, Rankala




We went to see a huge, beautiful old palace of the Indosarosanic (spelling?) style of architecture. The royal family of the state still lives on the first floor. Each state of India still has a king, I’m told. The ground floor is now a museum which we toured. They count the floors of a building differently here. Our first floor is the “ground floor” while our second floor is the “first floor” here. The royal family, being of the warrior caste, was big on hunting. There were so many weapons of all kinds I couldn’t count them all. Mostly swords type weapons and some guns. They also had some interesting furniture and an impressive collection of taxidermy. The black panther looked as though it would spring off the wall at any moment. The family was also big on warm-blooded horses and many of the paintings depicted the family on horseback. Their horses were reputed to have excellent breeding and the breeding continues to this day. Near the entrance to the palace was a riding ring with jumps set up in it. One painting of one of the kings on his horse was huge, about 12 X 15 feet, judging from the height of the people standing in front of it. The horse was a magnificent animal.
We then went to Rankala, a huge lake, which the whole team was disgusted by because it was so polluted it was almost grass green. It looked like algae swirling but it wasn’t… Apparently the people like to come and sit on the benches and look out across the water, which was a nice view, but I certainly wouldn’t want to go in it! My new host, Dev, said they are trying to clean it up and it should be much better in about four months. He wasn’t clear on how they were cleaning it up. I don’t know how fish live in it but they do since we saw fish hawks catching them.
I didn’t sleep well last night as I was up coughing half the night and had some weird dreams I can’t remember. I finally took Benadryl for lack of anything else and then I slept. My host got some ayerdervic cough lozenges for me but all the plant names in the ingredient list are Latin so I don’t know what’s in them. They do work very well though and don’t numb my mouth like a Hall’s.
My feet are still swollen with fluid (pitting +4 to the knees) and I have given up on them. Maybe it’s the food? The doctors say it is from travel and now being on my feet all day but it doesn’t go down much at night. I’m sure it will clear right up as soon as I get back to America. I am on my feet all day there and go hiking and walking and stuff and never had this before. Oh well.
One thing I am having a hard time getting used to it having people watch me eat. All of my host families do that and even the waiters in the restaurants stand 4 feet away and watch.
I am limited on photographing right now due to a battery issue. The charger I brought from home hasn’t worked at all and the batteries my hosts give me barely last 5-10 photos. I have been through 4 sets of batteries today and taken maybe 30 photos. I am rationing my shots now. My host took two of my batteries to try to charge at his shop. I hope it works! I have taken over 700 photographs since arriving in India. Thank goodness for digital cameras!
I got a formal welcome into my host’s home this morning. Each of the women put the bildi (the red is ? and the yellow is turmeric) on my forehead and waved the oil lamps three times. Then I had to step into the house right foot first.
I do think I am losing weight. My pants are looser and I may have to dig out my belt soon. I am contributing it to a lot of walking and healthier food, although I am still craving American food.
This afternoon my host’s wife dressed me up in a sari for my first time. It came out beautiful. It really was not uncomfortable to wear. Each of us women was given a necklace/earring set from the Rotary Club of Ichalkarenji and I wore mine. The family took me to a small photo studio for photographs. I can’t wait to see how they come out. The photographer asked if I had ever done any modeling, which I really haven’t since I was 10. I wore the sari to the Rotary dinner and it was well received.
At the dinner we had a presentation of dance and it was gorgeous, as usual. It was fun to see the children learning the traditional dances.
My host took me to an institution of learning and meditation for Jains. It was not what I expected and it was peaceful and relaxing. They separate soul and body and work with the connections. I’m not sure I understand the whole thing but it was very interesting. What I have found about the Jains is that they are a very peaceful people.

No comments: