Thursday, February 14, 2008

January 25 Bijapur, bronchitis

Photos: Blood bank and fort entrance.

This morning we left Kolapur and moved to Bijapur. Along the way we stopped at Napali and visited the Rotary blood bank, a school, and an old fort. I got sick with a fever again and we went to a little tiny hospital clinic to a Rotarian doctor. My tympanic temperature was 38.8 centigrade. That’s about 102.0 Farenheit. He said the pharyngitis has moved down to bronchitis. He prescribed a different antibiotic and said the other wasn’t working. I feel much better now, especially since the new cough syrup has guafenisen in it like Robitussin. I don’t remember much of the day except that all of the children at the Rotary school for the impoverished were happy to see us. As we were leaving, they all crowded around us to shake hands like it was good luck to touch the American. I am starting to realize how unusual we are. I haven’t seen anyone but Indians since we got here. People of any other nationality are rare. No wonder they are treating us like royalty. They seem to think America is a great and powerful country but I really think we should be ashamed of ourselves when I see the people here. The Rotarians here are doing what the government is not doing; building schools, low-income housing, and everyone seems to have an earnest concern for the impoverished. That and the attitude of the people here, especially the poor, is remarkable. I think I spoke of that before. Okay, I’m exhausted and going to bed.

No comments: