Thursday, February 14, 2008

January 28 Iahole, motel room




I’m feeling MUCH better today! I’m still coughing but better. We left Bagalkot and then our itinerary got changed. It seems there is much desire to have a GSE team visit one’s Rotary Club and the club in Ilkal wanted us, so we got diverted. It was the worst and best day because of this. The worst day because we saw one too many temples and got mobbed by children and dealt with cockroaches and were told we’d be sleeping in the Rotary Hall instead of homes and we had major language barriers. The best day because our presentation was on a rooftop of the Club President’s home and it went very well and his wife made a great Indian dinner and I ate three hard boiled eggs for the first time in weeks and they put us up in two motel rooms (it turns out the Rotary here in Ilkal is only a year old and meets downstairs at the motel) and the bathroom is clean and the shower has hot water that stays hot and doesn’t stop…and no roaches! It really is the little things in life!
The best thing of all: I have been bothered knowing that people at home are probably worried about me because I haven’t been able to email or anything, although I know if something at home happened I’m sure I’d hear through Wick, the Shermans, Frank Geraghty, Bazil, to Bernie then to me. I was able to use a phone briefly today and left Wick a voicemail and then the only other number I could think of quick was Scott’s. [Scott: Glad to hear everything is okay at home and thanks for passing the word along to others that I’m okay!]
We did see a place where three big rivers meet and went under the water level by going down in a tower of sorts about 120+ spiral stairs. There was a temple at the bottom. We also visited a huge place with more spiral stairs that is going to be an “International Building”. I refused to go up in the glass elevator though.

No comments: