Thursday, February 14, 2008

January 26 Bijapur, rest day

Had another fever during the night and got the chills really badly. Slept in late today then took a shower which felt really good as my last host’s home didn’t have one, just a bath. Ate some plain rice and some ramen noodles for lunch then lay down reading a book for a while. He gave me a reader’s digest compendium. Still feel sick, but am better. Thank goodness for the guaifenisen. I am sad to miss today’s activities with the team but I need the rest.
I was able to convince my host to give me some plain fruit and he gave me some carrots in addition to oranges, apples, and grapes. All of the carrots here in India are pink but it sure tasted good. Indian food makes me nauseous right now. Anything with any kind of spice does. I feel exhausted. At least the weather isn’t too hot today. My host seems to think I will be okay to go to the team presentation tonight but I know Bernie will say “no”, and since he is the team leader, I have to listen to him. I just need to convince my host of that!
Ah, my host understood and let me stay home to rest. We shared photo albums as is the custom. The whole Indian culture is about relationships. My photo album has photos of my house, my motorcycle, my pets, etc. while every Indian photo album I have been shown depicts people and events. The biggest pride to the Indians is the photo album of their marriage, even if it was 8 years ago. All marriages are arranged and last 3 days. It is typical to have about 1000-2000 people in attendance and lots of food. There are also a lot of rituals associated with the marriage such as the putting on a bangles on the bride’s arms, and many ceremonies to be done.
Another thing they speak of as being high in helping their economy, I may have mentioned it before, sorry, is medical tourism. People coming from other countries to India to have operations done which are high quality and low cost.
2018 at night and my skin has been tingling and I’ve been chilled. Took my temperature with the thermometer gave me and it’s 39 or 100.2. Guess it’s time to take more medicine. Also my cough has changed to a deeper even more bronchial one with a squeak at the end. No tickle in the throat, thank goodness! The tickle was driving me crazy. Just a strong urge to cough but mostly a dry cough. I’m miserable. I feel really bad for my host, Kreshna. I don’t think I’ve been a very good guest. I know he really wants to spent time with me and share cultural things but I just can’t do it right now.

No comments: