Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Januray 15, 2008 Clothes shopping




My host took me clothes shopping today and I did not buy a sari as planned. I needed something for the upcoming Rotary Conference at which I'll be speaking to about 1,200 people and I wanted something really nice. She said the saris are really hard to wrap and if you do it wrong and aren't used to wearing it, it can fall off unexpectedly. Just what I don't need!!! So she helped me purchase a different kind of dress. It is like a tunic with pants underneath and a scarf that is worn backwards. It is a very common style here along with the sari and much safer to wear. Either style can be worn as dress-up or everyday wear. It depends on the adornment. I got a really pretty turquoise blue with sequins and sparkles. Shopping for it was unusual. We sat down on a padded fabric floor and the man spread a bunch of dressed out one at a time on top of eachother in a pile. We then said yes or no as he took them away. Then we selected from the ones left. Everything is so colorful and each looked prettier than the last!There were dresses piled all over from this procedure. It was rather fun! I also bought a top shirt type thing that is to be worn over regular pants and then my host, Dr. Vani (the wife), bought one for me as a gift.

2 comments:

~jrf said...

Ummm isn't it that you are supposed to imagine your audience naked during the lecture, not stand in front of them naked............

Good choice in getting a different dress! Good Luck on your talk!!

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are having a good time. My sister in law is married to an Indian christian,so I am somewhat familiar with the sari. Kendra has one she got from her wedding. Judi