Sunday, January 20, 2008

January 17, 2008 Kles Hospital and Medical Research Center

Photo 1: Dialysis ward
Photo 2: poster showing exterior of hospital
Photo 3: General scene of hallway
Photo 4: Open heart surgery in progress






{Another late publishing.}






This morning we went to Kles Hospital which is incredible! I would put it on the level of our top US hospitals, perhaps like Johns Hopkins University. First of all, it was huge; 1000 beds plus 820 beds that are free to the needy, all on 18 acres, 30 operation theatres, 200+ consulting doctors, many specialties. It is considered to be one of the best in the whole country. They are known for their work in cardiology, organ transplantation, AIDS, and rheumatology. They also rank 3rd in the world in dental surgeries including cleft palate repair. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the hospital including that there was no “hospital smell” anywhere at all. This is apparently due to continuous eco-cleaning rather than the massive use of disinfectants that we use in the US. We were given a very nice tour including the dialysis center, various wards, and one of my favorites, cardiology, where we were able to observe a catheterization in progress.
It was interesting how even in this hospital we had to remove our shoes before entering certain areas just as we do when entering houses and temples. My sneakers have remained in my suitcase since I got here and I have been wearing my loafers because of how often we are doffing our shoes. I kind of wish I brought sandals! I was not able to visit the emergency department but was told that they have 9 ambulances for transport that are at the ALS level. They do have EMTs and paramedics but no one really seems to know much about them, even the doctors. The team leader for the GSE team that will be coming to NJ in April teaches ACLS and is the wife of the medical director for the hospital seems to know more but I didn’t have the chance to talk with her about it yet. We had a personal visit with the medical director and CEO for the hospital, Dr M. V. Jali in his office which is considered to be a big honor. We had the usual biscuits and tea and coffee and chatted for a short while. He seems earnestly concerned about providing health care for everyone regardless of class or caste.

1 comment:

John said...

Nice blogging, My review is very good example.
Lindsay Rosenwald http://www.lindsayrosenwald.biz/lindsay-biotechnology/dr-lindsay-rosenwald-leader-drug-development/ Dr. Lindsay Rosenwald- A Leader of Drug Development